Monday, October 7, 2013

Accidents Happen

On Saturday Ryan went to Priesthood session of General Conference, so I decided to take my little girl out shopping. 

We went to The Orchards, which is a large outdoor shopping mall. Our first stop was to a toy store, and I let her pick out a stuffed animal. It is the one in her crib here:  


(This is how she lays when she is falling asleep.)

We walked around for about an hour and a half, just enjoying looking at things to buy. 

When I strapped her in the car seat to go home, I had a feeling to make sure the buckle was in the right spot on her chest and tight enough. Not that I don't usually do that, it was just more of a conscious decision this time. 

Maya fell asleep on the way home and I was enjoying Michael Buble. We stopped at a stop light and then suddenly we got hit from the back. It felt pretty hard and of course I FREAKED because of Maya, who was now wide awake and screaming. I quickly pulled to the side and ran around to make sure my child was safe. Thankfully she was, and I just suffered very mild whip lash. 

The guy who hit me was really flustered. He gave me a hug and kept apologizing. I have never been in an accident like that before, so I really only knew we needed to exchange insurance info. He was driving his girlfriend's car and didn't know where to find it. We exchanged names and numbers and parted ways. 

Now cut to Ryan getting home and my telling him about the accident: "Always call the cops, no matter what." Oh. Whooooops. 

Then we went to assess the damage. The bumper had a couple of marks on it, so Ryan called the number the guy gave me. It was fake. Seriously? But then we noticed something on my car that is my saving grace. The license plate of the car that hit me was imprinted perfectly in the dust of my bumper. Ha! 

I am looking forward to surprising the guy when he realizes he didn't escape. 



No comments: