Monday, February 11, 2013

We've got a 2-Month Old!


I still can't believe how quickly time flies when you've got a little person at home to take care of. I was afraid of being bored a lot, but life is definitely not boring. There is always something to do!


Maya had her 2-month check up last Friday. I must admit that I was not looking forward to it because of the 3 shots she was going to get. I just kept telling myself that it is by far more important that she get those shots than that she doesn't have to cry.


Maya is such a trooper though. She definitely cried, but the whole ordeal was so short (the shots were done and band-aids were on in like 3 seconds flat), that she recovered pretty quickly. I thought I would have to nurse her to help soothe her afterwards, but she was fine! I was SO glad!


During the check-up we found out that she now weighs 9 lbs 10 oz! She has gained almost 4 lbs since she was born. I'm so proud of her and my fattening milk. Our doctor was impressed by her head control and leg strength. He also told Maya she is in official training for sleeping through the night.


She slept 7 hours straight in the night twice a couple of weeks ago, but hasn't been able to pull it off since then. Last night in particular was a total fail. She woke up four times and had a hard time falling back to sleep because she was too happy! Ha! Not something most parents would complain about! But she would wake up, eat, and then while I was changing her diaper she smiled and cooed and kicked her little legs and I couldn't help but respond to the overwhelming cuteness, so she may have gotten just a tad too stimulated to fall back asleep. Which I guess was my fault. :D


She smiles all the time these days. My favorite is when she smiles with her whole body. It's nice to know that she's as happy with us as we are with her!


She has also enjoyed learning what kinds of noises she can make. I am in love with every coo, gurgle, and cry.


A week ago Ryan and I went to Costco to pick up some stuff for our Baby Blessing Luncheon/Super Bowl "Party". Ryan was carrying Maya and I had the cart. Costco was PACKED. Those huge carts are not convenient for crowds like that! Ryan wandered off with Maya to find something, and I lost track of them. Costco is also very large. I was a little frustrated that I lost my man and child. And then, suddenly, I heard something familiar. All the hustle and bustle around me could not drown out one thing: My baby's cry. I felt a moment of joy as I realized I had entered another stage of mommy-hood!


Ryan and I have decided that she does not look like either one of us in particular, but that she looks like both of us. I have never looked at her and thought, "Wow, that's a mini-me!" Or mini-Ryan for that matter. She is a great mix between the two of us!


Her angel kisses are starting to fade, slowly but surely. I may miss those distinctive marks slightly, but I will be glad when they are gone.


She makes us laugh all the time. Whether it is because of her cuteness or some funny face that she inadvertently makes, she is a hoot. Our favorite time with her is in the morning. That's when she is usually the most happy and content.


She is really starting to respond to things around her. Her bouncy seat has this awesome attachment that has glowing blue lights, a monkey that moves back and forth, and a frog that moves up and down. When she was brand new, she would sit in the seat and just look off to the side. But now she looks at the things moving in front of her and she loves it! She makes noises and smiles and kicks. She will watch the monkey for a minute or two and then switch to watching the frog, and then back again. It makes me feel better about not holding her while she's awake and happy when I know she's getting some stimulus for that tiny growing brain.


She is starting to teach me her schedule. It's not completely set in stone everyday, but I know that she wants to eat after she wakes up, and wants to go back to sleep after "playing" for an hour and a half. Her naps still vary in length, but I'm trying to get them to go longer by just giving her a pacifier instead of getting her up if it hasn't been an hour yet.


Happy 2 Months, Baby Maya!

2 comments:

Mom said...

Oh I just love it. Happy 2 months to Maya, and soon Happy Birthday to her mama! How is it possible--I can remember it like yesterday.

I love seeing what an incredible mother you are and I am so grateful for the incredible gift of the circle of life.

Love you!

Dad said...

Wow! What a fun post to read and all the pics were just as sweet as can be! Thanks for being such a wonderful mommy and daughter!! I love you!