Wednesday, October 31, 2012

This is Halloween!


It is Halloween again! I sure love Halloween. It is the first of the holidays during the holiday season, and I feel like it kind of gets things rolling. Christmas decorations are already starting to show up, all because of Halloween.

This is our first year to have Halloween in our new home. I feel oddly excited to light the carved pumpkins on our front stoop and hand out candy to the kids in our neighborhood. Afterwards, we have plans to go to a friends' home and watch Hocus Pocus - if we wives can convince the husbands anyway. Apparently it is a "childish" movie? What?! ;)

Last weekend was our ward Chili Cook Off/Trunk-or-Treat party. Ryan signed me up to take chili, which I appreciated because I never saw a sign-up sheet (one of the perks of primary I guess). I decided to make Creamy Italian Sausage Chili. I tripled the recipe, which proved to be a lot of chili. It wouldn't all fit in my biggest pot OR my big crock pot. Which was actually fine, because I wanted to put some in my freezer for after-baby-meals anyway. My chili was a hit! I got several compliments on it and requests for the recipe. I didn't win the cook off, but I had fun making it and providing it regardless.

On Sunday we had our friends Ryan and Jenna over to carve pumpkins and have dinner. We picked up a couple of those fun carving kits, and we each picked out the design we wanted. (Ryan number dos decided to just watch their baby instead of carving, so there were just 3 pumpkins done.)

As I was carving mine, I noticed the little rating system of difficulty up in the corner. I had picked the hardest one! And even though it wasn't exactly "hard", it was surely time consuming and sometimes frustrating to get the tiny little things out. Ryan was done like 15 minutes before I was! Ha! Here are our awesome pumpkins all lit up:

My pumpkin

Jenna's pumpkin

Ryan's pumpkin

I hope you all have a fun and safe Halloween!

2 comments:

Mom said...

Love your guys' pumpkins--how creative! Sounds like you had an awesome Halloween!!

Dad said...

Those are awesome pumpkins!! Hope you enjoyed passing out the goodies, too!