Monday, October 8, 2012

Gingerbread Pancake Flop

Saturday and Sunday marked the 2nd semi-annual General Conference this year. That means no where to go but home on your couch in your jammies, sleeping in until 9:58, and lots of tasty snacks.

I like to make a special breakfast conference morning(s) because it just seems much more cozy to be enjoying a plate of warm breakfast goods instead of cold cereal that is the norm 98% of the time.

Friday night I made Chicken in Potato Baskets for dinner. Ryan raved and raved about it. Made me so super happy to know that I had filled my man's stomach with something he truly loved! It wasn't anything extravagant by any means, but they were served in their own individual ramekins. And who doesn't like their own special little prepackaged dinner? Here is the recipe if you would like to give it a go!

After dinner that night I flipped the page in the cookbook and saw a recipe for Gingerbread Pancakes. "That sounds delicious!" I thought. Ryan thought so, too, and thus it was decided: Gingerbread Pancakes for breakfast the next morning.

So I get up Saturday morning and start putting together the pancakes. They were such a lovely color!! When they were finished, we sat down to our cozy little plates of warm breakfast goods. And... we did not like them. We tried to like them. But it just was not happening. I felt so bad! Not that I had wasted ingredients, but that I had teased Ryan with a yummy breakfast but it ended up tasting yucky. Ryan says it was my attempt at making my own buttermilk (he does not believe it is possible to do it even though I keep telling him that it is), but I blame it on too much molasses. **Addendum** It was most certainly the molasses. Come to find out, I had purchased BlackStrap Molasses. Which is only about a bajillion times stronger than regular molasses. In fact, I read on one website: "If you use blackstrap molasses in a recipe that calls for regular molasses, it will ruin the dish." Learned that one the hard way!!

After just a few bites, something happened that I have never had the desire to do with my food before:



Whenever Ryan and I meet new people and they ask what I do to, you know, make myself worth something, Ryan always quickly volunteers: "She's a chef!" I love that he is so proud of that, but it often intimidates the people we just met, especially if we are at their home for dinner. Well, rest assured, not everything I make is perfect, and these pancakes are proof.

But don't worry, we didn't starve.

3 comments:

Crystal said...

That Potato Chicken recipe looks really good! I think I'm gonna make that this week! Where do you get those little bowl things? Sorry about the gingerbread pancakes, tho :( I've made gingerbread pancakes before and I remember being disappointed with the results too.

Mom said...

Okay once again you had me laughing out loud! :) Hope you were still able to enjoy conference!

Holly Meehleis said...

Better just stick to those fantasic pumpkin pancakes instead!!