Monday, October 1, 2012

Estes Park in the Fall

Ahhh... autumn. The most wonderful season of all.


Crisp air. Changing leaves. Foggy mornings. Sleeping with the window open and having it get cold enough for snuggling all night long with my honey sleeping next to me. Baking cookies, breads, and pies, and somehow not feeling quite so guilty about it because it's not so hot outside. Jackets and sweaters. Fuzzy socks in the morning. I just.... love it. 


My favorite place to visit as the summer turns into fall is Estes Park. I love going on the scenic drive up to the mountainous town and enjoying all of the vibrantly gold and orange aspen trees. I love seeing all of the elk and hearing their haunting bugles.

Yesterday afternoon we (I) packed up a yummy picnic of rotisserie chicken hoagies, chips, grapes, macaroni salad, and Oreos. We met up with our friends Ryan and Jenna with their little dude Xavier, and headed on up to Estes Park. We drove into Rocky Mountain National Park and found a nice spot among the pines and aspens to enjoy our picnic. 




The weather was perfection. It was overcast and in the mid-high 50s I think. We enjoyed our food as birds watched us anxiously from nearby, hoping for a crumb or two.






After our picnic we drove a little ways through the park and saw more lovely trees and elk. 




It was the perfect way to spend a lovely Sunday afternoon.

1 comment:

Holly Meehleis said...

Looks like you had a great time! Garrett and I were going to go to Estes Park this last Saturday but it was pouring =( We went up to Horsetooth yesterday, but we're hoping to get up to Estes this Saturday instead. Hopefully the colors are still pretty and the elk are still out!!