Monday, November 28, 2011

New Explorations


In a moment of ponderment that has lasted for oh.... a few weeks, I have begun seriously considering trying my hand at being a personal chef. If I cannot find some company to start out with, I would try it on my own. Basically I have decided that, for several reasons, being a banquet server is not for me. At all. Not even a little bit. But pursuing something else is something I want to do. Although the relaxation can be nice, I am not all for having close to nothing to do all day every day. I yearn for the feeling of accomplishment.

I have searched for other jobs, but there is nothing that I can find in this area that will suit my needs and wants. Mainly because I am not okay with stupidly inconsistent and sporadic hours. (Shifts until later than midnight every night? No thank you.) Also, I did not go to and graduate from college to brew endless amounts of coffee, set and clear tables, count soda cans, starve myself because there just is "not enough time" to stop and eat, throw away gargantuan amounts of edible food, clean walk-in coolers, or listen to higher-ups who think they know everything because they work so hard that their children hardly know them. (I do not find that commendable in the least.) You might say that I feel a little over qualified.

I would like opinions. If I were to start such a business, do you have any suggestions on how to spread the word (for free)? Is it something that people would even want to use?

Hopefully I can use my culinary skills soon!

2 comments:

Paige said...

You might want to look into doing small event catering, like baby/bridal showers, smaller graduation parties, etc. No more than 25 people. I am sure there are people who do use personal chefs, but I have never met any, nor have I ever run in to anyone who seriously wanted to have one. Maybe do some research in your area and see what you can find.
You start a facebook page for your business which is free, and have all your friends re-post it to spread the word. Look also in to putting up flyers on bulletin boards in grocery stores (fancier, of course) or your Church. Good luck!!

Jenni Rollins said...

I had a neighbor who had a personal chef come in once or twice a week. But I don't think it's very common. I agree with Paige on advertising and event catering. Good luck with it!