Sunday, April 3, 2011

I love to see the temple

This weekend has been unforgettable.

My institute teacher is President McClure, our stake president, and for the past couple of weeks he has always had something to say about temples and how badly he wants one here in town. But it seemed a request that could never be fulfilled. He also made sure that we (his students and every ward member) knew that listening to the opening remarks of President Monson (the Prophet) for General Conference was important, and that we should not miss it.

For those of you who are not LDS, every six months a televised conference is put on, with 5 different sessions, each lasting 2 hours. It is an opportunity for members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to hear the Prophet, apostles, and other general authorities for our church speak about Christ and teach us important principles.

Saturday morning, Ryan and I turned on conference at 10 AM. As always, President Monson gave the opening remarks and was going to announce 3 new temples that will be built. First one he said: "Fort Collins, Colorado". What?!?! I squealed and squeezed Ryan's arm to death! Our eyes brimmed with tears as we felt the powerful Spirit and realized the blessings that will befall this community.

We, along with every other LDS member in this area, are incredibly grateful and thankful to our Heavenly Father for allowing a temple to be built here. I have been replaying those words in my mind over and over again.

The only bad part is that Ryan and I will likely be moving to Erie this summer. But we will still only be 45 minutes away, and we cannot WAIT for this temple to be built!




4 comments:

Jenni Rollins said...

I cried too. It's wonderful!

Crystal said...

I am so excited for Fort Collins! I agree, it was such a special weekend!

Something to think about... it seems like it must take awhile for temples to be completed. Remember when President Monson said that something like 26 temples were currently in the works? That makes me think it is awhile from when they are announced to when they are actually functioning. So maybe after you guys move to Erie, and Ryan gets some years of work under his belt... then if you decide to move back when the temple is done (I don't know... 4 years maybe?) it could perhaps be a good option!

Love you! I can't wait to someday experience a temple session with you in the FORT COLLINS TEMPLE!

Anonymous said...

umm question why are you moving to Erie and where is that?

Dad Duggins said...

It was right up there as one of the best moments of my life to hear of a temple to be built in Fort Collins!! I'm looking forward to goither there someday with all of my family!!