Sunday, April 3, 2011

Healthy is as healthy does

We have been attempting to eat more healthfully around here. Summer is, after all, nearly upon us, and we must be fit to run outside and play!

A few years back my mom got me a recipe book called "Eating for Life". It is by a man who has developed a workout/diet system for people. The recipes are all high protein and good for you (I'm assuming; there aren't any nutrition facts listed in the book - but the entire thing is based on getting healthy and feeling great so it seems like a pretty safe bet). I have been cooking out of it regularly for the past couple of weeks. Last week we tried the Asian Beef Stir-Fry recipe.

Upon looking at the recipe, I feared that it might be somewhat bland, as it hardly has any spices in it. But it was great!

disclosure: not my book, I would never get a ring of dirtyness in it! ;)

The recipe says to use an ENTIRE head of napa cabbage. Do not be intimidated by the size of those things, use it all, because it wilts down and is the perfect amount. The 1/2 C of soy sauce was somewhat excessive. There was a small pool at the bottom of our serving bowl. The only modification I made was to throw in some sesame seeds. Other modifications could be: Asian rice noodles instead of spaghetti, add a little ginger, add broccoli, snow peas, and/or mushrooms. And one last thing: the servings were plenty large for 4 people!

Give it a try!

P.S. The recipe on the link has many typos. Not my fault. :)


2 comments:

Jenni Rollins said...

Sounds delicious!

Tabi said...

Awesome! I'm definitely looking to eating more healthy too! :)