Thursday, September 6, 2012

Immunocompromised

I am not usually one to complain about things. I try to stay positive and take things in stride.

But you know what is not the most fun thing in the world?? Being immunocompromised. And that is what I am - an immunocompromised baby-building woman. And let me tell you something: I can tell!!

In the past I have had a pretty stand up immune system. It was not incredibly often that I picked up other people's ailments. Got sneezed on? No biggie. A snotty nosed, coughing child nearby? Meh. Piece of delicious food accidentally got dropped on the ground? 5-second rule!!

But now???? That sneeze that got on me means a wicked cold for at least a week. The coughing child equates to yet another cold that lasts at least a week. And that food off the ground? Oh, that leads to almost certain death.

You would think I would have learned more quickly to AVOID GERMS while pregnant!!! I guess it takes me a good 6-months to get something thoroughly through my head.

Let me tell you a little story.

Two nights ago after I finished washing the dishes, I got very tired and just wanted to lay down. Shortly thereafter I found myself feeling just completely unhealthy. My night proceeded to be a loooooong one. I had not had a sickness like that since...oh... junior high? The next day (yesterday) I spent in bed. Literally. And if you ask my husband, I hate just laying and being sedentary for much longer than necessary, so obviously I was feeling pretty deathly. I managed to eat 2 pieces of toast (even though it took me 2 hours to get them down), a few saltines, half of an apple, and a couple bowls of plain white rice. It was rough.

And of course I had myself all worried about the baby. I took a microbiology class a couple of years ago and we learned alllll about lovely foodborne illnesses (which is more than likely what I had). And there is one, listeria, that is particularly cruel to a fetus. But my doctor said not to worry, and as if she could read my thoughts, baby girl was wiggly all day long so that I knew she was doing okay in there.

Ryan was also an incredible help. I may have kept him up half the night, but he did not complain about it one bit. He was obviously genuinely concerned for my well-being. When I asked him for a blessing to help me to sleep, he gave no hesitation, even though it was 4:00 in the morning. He stayed home with me in the morning and went to the store to get me 10 different kinds of juice, fruit, and crackers. He didn't even complain about the mess in the house when he got home from work (I guess I get lazy when I can't hardly stand to move). What a great guy I've got.

You will be happy to hear that this morning I woke up feeling superb. I slept just fine last night and even ate a bowl of cereal today! Things are looking up, and maybe my immune system is not so bad after all. :)

1 comment:

Koenig Family Blog said...

oh no! I hope you didn't catch it from Dave and I :( (your symptoms sound different than ours, but I still feel bad). I am glad you are feeling better- it has been sticking around here :(