Sunday, October 9, 2011

Broadening My Horizons

Tonight Ryan and I took our taste buds on an adventure. He bought a German cookbook while on his mission and had yet to actually make anything out of it. I looked through it yesterday and picked something out that I wanted to make. There were many things in it that I will never make. Like stuffed pig stomach. I didn't even know what it was at first, but the picture was not very appetizing.

I decided on Semmelknödel mit Pilzen. This means something with mushrooms. Maybe eggy boiled bread balls? Okay, so that sounds kind of gross, but it was quite delicious. Here's the recipe and picture in the book:





What? Can't you read it?? Besides the fact that the print is small on your computer screen, it's in German. So Ryan helped me make it! I enjoyed having him there as my translator.

I'm not going to translate it all for you (unless you BEG me to... which most of you will not), but basically it is day-old cubed bread soaked in milk, mixed with parsley, salt/pepper, nutmeg, onions, and 2-3 eggs. Then shaped into balls and boiled for 20 minutes. It is served with a mushroom cream sauce on top. And oh my. We were both raving about it. It turned out perfectly!! I was pretty excited about that, since I could not even read the recipe.

Here's the bread balls before being boiled:


And after:


And with the cream sauce:

The only thing we regretted was that we did not think to invite anybody over to share them with us. I think we should all give ethnic food a try more often!


1 comment:

Mom said...

We get to try out this yummy dish tonight--thanks for sharing with us!