Sunday, May 15, 2011

Pomp and Circumstance

Friday, May 13th, 2011, marked a momentous day in my life:

It is a little blurry, but that is me. Diploma (holder) in possession, about to shake the hand of the president of Colorado State University.

This semester was perfect, as far as last semesters go. Since Ryan graduated in December and got a job in Louisville, I figured it would be best if I did the same as soon as possible so that he wouldn't have to commute for too long. After all, gas is like, what, a million dollars per gallon now?

At the end of the fall semester, I met with my advisor and told him that I needed to complete 26 credits, and quickly. Even though he advised me against it, I registered for 20 credits with the plan to take the last 6 in the summer. His reaction: "These are all hard classes, Chantal. Don't hesitate to drop one or two if you feel overwhelmed."

At the beginning of this semester, I found out that all of the classes I was taking had a fair amount of homework and tests. This had never happened before; it was usually always just tests. One professor even warned us: "This class is hard. I failed 40 students last semester." Sweet! Bring it on!

With time management, memorization, and a desire to do well, I completed all of my 20 credits without feeling overwhelmed even once. It may be boasting, but I am very proud to say that I got 5 A's and 2 B's this semester.

I am very grateful for the support and help that I had from my family and husband all through college. I never thought I would get a bachelor's degree, but I know that I will always be thankful that I took the time to get a good education. I have loved learning. I think I will miss it... but from now on I will probably fill that void with reading and starting new hobbies.

At Macaroni Grill before the ceremony



A couple of friends and me during the ceremony

This is me and my good friend, Lauren. I met her during my first semester at CSU, and we have been having lunch together weekly since then. She's great!




This might be a little premature, seeing as I still have those 6 credits (which will commence tomorrow morning), but I am officially done with college!!

5 comments:

Crystal said...

A few things:
#1- CONGRATULATIONS, CHANTAL!!! What a great accomplishment! I wish I could have been there. You look so happy (and beautiful).
#2- I can see Mom's haircut in these pics pretty well and I LOVE IT! I think it looks so cute!
#3- Holly looks gorgeous.
#4- I wish I was in that pic of the siblings!
#5- I miss you guys!!!

Mom said...

I'm trying to think of the best word to describe you: awesome, amazing, incredible.... nothing seems quite good enough! Okay so I'm a mom, I get bragging rights once in awhile!

Love you, Girl! Congratulations!

Your Proud Dad said...

Aubrey,

I am so, so proud of you! You had a strong desire, set a difficult goal, and with hard work and study you succeeded! Your example is inspiring to me! I love you! Congratulations!!!!!!!!

James and Laura Neibaur said...

Wahoo! Doesn't it feel good after all that work? I love your blog!!! How did I miss this for so long--well, now your on my blog list :)Let's hang out!!!

andrea said...

Ok, those pictures made me cry. Maybe I'm in an extra delicate emotional state right now or something. Maybe someday I will get to have a picture like that!