Monday, May 9, 2011

Climb every mountain, ford every stream

The weather was ah-mazing this past weekend. Additionally, Friday was the last day of official classes this semester, and I wanted to celebrate! I told Ryan that I wanted to go on a bike day-trip on Saturday.

We headed out in the morning to a place called Hewlett Gulch up in the Poudre Canyon. The ride was really pretty - felt more like mountain biking than Coyote Ridge because we were pretty much in a forest. It was fun to smell the pine trees as we whizzed past them on our bikes. It was a 3-hour ride, and I came away with more courage, better technique, a better understanding of how to adjust my gears on my new bike, muddy shoes, a sunburn, and fun memories.



Poor Ryan had to deal with my scared-ness sometimes. For whatever reason, seeing an oncoming creek that I had to ride through got me more nervous than having to go over/down/up big rocks. I'm embarrassed when I think back to it, actually. But Ryan always knows what to say to me: "It's just like the trail." OOHH, ok! It seemed less daunting after that. Hopefully someday (soon) I won't have to be cheered on by myself in my head or Ryan out loud, but just do it. I imagine that will make the experience for my sweet man better.

Here's some pictures from our adventure!!

my sweet bike


Everybody was kung-fu fighting!





I fell. But only once! I appreciate signs of a good time. Does my pointing hand look weird to anyone else?



A few of my bruises. It's a smiley face!

2 comments:

Holly Meehleis said...

Looks like quite an adventure! Oh, and in your title, I think you mean FORD every stream! =)

Crystal said...

Wow! What a day! I must say, you are way more brave than me. I do not think mountain biking for 3 hours over rocks and streams would be a fun time for me, but it looks like you had a blast! What beautiful scenery, too!
I am smiling back at your leg :)