Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Halloween brings out the nasties

**WARNING** There are some ewie pictures in this post!!! Reader's be forewarned...

My life is filled with wonderful and beautiful things. Changing and falling leaves, the smell of freshly baked spice cake, a new baby (not mine), Bengal Spice tea with soy milk, and Ryan.

But lately there have been a few rather unpleasant things I have had to deal with.

#1: About 5 1/2 years ago I decided it was best to stop wearing my heart on my sleeve and put it on my neck instead. But now I don't want it there anymore. The biggest part of this decision was the fact that I was going to get married in the temple - a huge life change merited getting it removed as a representation that my life was taking a different path than this mark might otherwise suggest. I did some online shopping and found what I was looking for. The process began in late June. I was told that it would take 3, MAYBE 4 sessions. After the second session there was no change whatsoever. I voiced my concern, so the laserist (I made that up) upped the power and zapped me a good one. Still no change. I didn't go back for more than 2 months, and when I finally did I told the man that I didn't want to keep paying for pain that was not benefiting me. I used fewer words, but he got the idea and offered to give me a free treatment. He upped the power again. Blood blisters galore, tight skin, and peeling dead skin later: no change. He joked with Ryan and I at this last appointment: "Maybe this is the LDS curse! This thing isn't going away!" Maybe he was right.

If you want to scare your children into staying away from these, I suggest showing them these pictures of what will happen. (You don't have to tell them it was during the removal process.)






#2: Wind. I do not like wind. I was terrified of the sound of wind blowing during the night when I was younger because it "meant" that a tornado was coming. Now I just hate how it blows my hair and makes me cold when the temperature would otherwise be amazingly pleasant for the end of October. I looked at the weather for the next days, hoping that these unruly blustery days are bringing us a beautiful snowstorm. The forecast? Upper 60s-70s.


#3: I was about to perform my laundry wifely duty - to keep Ryan from being assumed as being one of "those" husbands, I would like to clarify that I imposed this duty and many other household chores upon myself - that requires me going down to the basement. I thought I saw a fuzzy on the carpet by the door and I bent down to pick it up. It was not a fuzzy. At least not a docile one. It is pretty much the biggest spider I have ever had to encounter on my own. I sent Ryan a text to get home quickly because he needed to kill this thing! It is still sitting there by the basement door. And the laundry? Still in the dryer. This wifely duty has been put on hold until Ryan gets home and exercises his husbandly duties!




To help settle your stomach, here is a cute picture of Ryan's and my new nephew, Logan! Brady and Erin welcomed him to their family on October 22, and he is just adorable!


2 comments:

mom said...

This post was truly a scary one--thanks for the warning! And thanks for the cutie at the end, to finish with a very happy note!

(Did the spider get taken care of in a timely manner?)

Mom

Holly Meehleis said...

You mean you saw a fizzle... =P cute baby by the way, and born on Garrett's birthday! =)