Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Once Please. Just Once.

Nursery is a sea of germs. Ever since Maya started attending nursery at church she gets sick a LOT. And they are always illnesses that knock her out. She had the flu for an entire week a few months ago. And then a nasty cold. And now this.

Last Saturday afternoon she woke up from her nap sounding hoarse and wheezing when she breathed. She didn't improve much during the day. Ryan was working all day and didn't get home until very late (2 AM), so when I went to bed and poor Maya could hardly breathe I was so worried. I put a humidifier in her room and gave her a pillow so that she would be elevated a little. At 10:15 PM, after Maya had woken up a few times already because she couldn't breathe, I asked a friend if I could borrow her oil diffuser and RC oil for a few days. Her husband brought it to me right away.

Sunday morning she sounded awful. We talked to Brendon (my BIL), who is a doctor, and he said it sounded like she had croup and that we should call Maya's doctor to find out if we needed to take her in. The on-call nurse told us to put her in a steamy shower for 20 minutes and then breathe the air in freezer. When the nurse called back, and heard that Maya's condition had not improved, she told us to take her to Urgent Care ASAP. Ryan took her to the Children's Hospital and I stayed home with Brianna. I desperately wanted to be there with them, but Ryan said it wasn't a good idea to take a 6-month old to a place where everybody is sick, and even though he was right, it was still hard.


Ryan sent me a couple of pictures of Maya. She was practicing holding the face mask on, but Ryan said that as soon as it was hooked up to the nebulizer (sp?) she rather freaked. She also freaked when she got a chest x-ray to rule out pneumonia. I was glad I wasn't there. My heart would have broken.


They were at the hospital for 8 1/2 hours. She got to watch 2 movies and lots of shows on Ryan's phone. Ryan said she did fantastic. After 2 nebulizer treatments and 1 oral steroid, she got to come home. They had wanted to keep her overnight to watch her, but Ryan told them he didn't feel it was necessary. We got a prescription for another steroid pill for the next morning as well.

I think all of those things combined (lots of prayer, humidifier, oil diffuser, nebulizer, and steroids) helped put that girl back on track by Tuesday. She hardly even coughed after getting home from the hospital. I am so very grateful that she recovered so quickly, but we do not need to experience it again!

1 comment:

Dad/Papa said...

Amen to your final sentence!! What a trooper she was!! So glad that little Maya is doing much better now!