Thursday, March 8, 2012

Chocolate Chip Banana Cookies

photo by me!! I'm getting better :)

Last night I made a spice rubbed salmon with grilled asparagus for dinner. We also used our spiffy new juicer (thanks, Parentals!) to make some carrot juice. It was a seriously healthy dinner. 

Sometimes I just crave something sweet after so much healthy stuff. Gotta balance it out. 

On the same page as the salmon dish were these yummy looking Chocolate Chip Banana Cookies. In my defense, this was the chapter in the book titled "Lighter Fare". So these cookies were somewhat low fat because they have less butter than an average cookie due to the mashed banana.

I was quite impressed with the results. It is a pretty small batch of cookies - the whole recipe only made a dozen cookies! Granted, the recipe says it makes 3 dozen. Their cookies must have been the size of quarters! If I'm going to indulge, I want to make it count!


These cookies turned out fluffy, moist, and thick. They taste exactly like a chocolate covered  banana. I'm going to save this one for sure!!


Give it a try the next time you have an over-ripe banana!

Chocolate Chip Banana Cookies
*recipe courtesy of tasteofhome.com*

Ingredients
1/3 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
1/2 cup mashed ripe banana
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips

Directions
In a small bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, banana and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in chocolate chips.
Drop by tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto baking sheets coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 9-11 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 3 dozen.

5 comments:

Jenni Rollins said...

Mmmmmmm! They look amazing. Great picture, by the way.

Mom said...

Those look really good! Glad to hear you're enjoying the juicer too. Sounds like you had an awesomely healthy dinner!

Holly Meehleis said...

And no tricky ingredients, even! I'll have to pick up some chocolate (and butterscotch) chips and give these a try!

Dad Duggins said...

Give me a break already!! Too, too yummy looking!! I'm trying to lose weight and just lookin' at the pics makes me feel like I've gained a couple of pounds!!!!! (But, I'd gladly sample a couple of them...!!)

THE WILLIAMS FAMILY said...

YUUUMMY... tryin' these for sure! Congrats on your new business Chantal... wish we lived closer cutie-pie!!! Take care... love you!