Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Summer Baking

There is always a high demand for sweets in our home. Apparently I don't provide them enough, because sometimes Ryan comes home with 2 boxes of cookies, coffee cake, and turnovers from the grocery store. All at once. So I've been trying to keep at least one variety of treats available! Because let's face it, nobody needs that many sweets in a house occupied by just 2 people, and homemade goodies are infinitely better than store-bought!

A few days ago I made some Strawberry-Rhubarb Crumb Pie. You can get the recipe by clicking here. It was a perfect summer treat, even if it did make the house somewhat more toasty than it already was. And the pie crust was very irritating - it took 2 batches and 5 rolls to get it right. In all honesty, Ryan actually assisted at that stage: he taught me how to more easily roll out pie crust. I was humbled as I watched him perfect what had been a struggle for me. Oh well, I guess I can't know everything!

Our favorite part about the pie was that the filling did not gush out and run all over the place. At all! Kind of an accomplishment when it comes to fruit pies. It was a wonderfully tangy and sweet combination, and the crumb topping as opposed to another pie crust was a treat.

**please excuse the ridiculous looking whipped cream on the slices of pie**

Happy summer baking to you!

2 comments:

andrea said...

BAHAHAHAHA!! I didn't even notice the whipped cream until you pointed it out. That. is. awesome.

I can commiserate with you- did I tell you about when Barlow bought 10 pkgs of Oreos because they were on sale? yeah. Oreos, all the time. sounds great, except when you're trying to lose baby weight.

Dad Duggins said...

Yummalicious!!! I want some!!